Orvium works to eliminate market inefficiencies and improve the quality and effectiveness of scientific publishing. The ultimate objective is for Orvium to be the leading publication platform for the research community while returning the benefits of science to the society.
Orvium leverages a unique and seamless integration of cutting-edge technologies: Ethereum blockchain and smart contracts, decentralized storage solutions, big data analytics, and cloud computing, to create a platform to process, validate, and disseminate research data and results.
The Orvium platform is characterized by the following:
- Instantaneous proof-of-existence. Manuscripts are available from the moment they are submitted to Orvium.
- Copyright and licenses are owned and transferable by authors. Authors retain control of their work and its potential economic benefits.
- Optimal publication and access costs. The prices are not influenced by monopolistic or oligopolistic market structures.
- Efficient framework to create decentralized journals with low maintenance and operational costs.
- Seamless integration between research data and results.
- Continuous and transparent peer reviews. The research community is empowered to publicly determine the validity and soundness of the research.
- Public recognition and economic reward for peer reviewers.
- Journal subscription freedom. No journal subscription model is enforced.
- Accommodates gray literature and its validation.
- Transparent calculation of quality metrics such as impact factor and peer review quality.
- Eliminates current “predatory” practices and conflicts regarding plagiarism, idea ownership and registration.
- Social platform.
In addition, Orvium is founded on open source principles, therefore all the software developed by Orvium is, and always will be, open source.
Orvium is the first open source and decentralized framework for managing scholarly publications’ life cycles and the associated data. Orvium introduces a disruptive business model into the research publication market through a unique combination of four core technologies: 1. blockchain and smart contracts; 2. decentralized storage 3. cloud computing; 4. big data analytics and machine learning.
Using blockchain technology and a decentralized storage approach will allow a public, fully traceable, and trustworthy record of the publication process at a minimal cost. Meanwhile, cloud computing technologies will provide flexibility, global availability and scalability to the platform and services. Finally, big data analytics and machine learning will enable advanced analyses to enhance life cycle automatization, facilitate peer review accuracy (e.g., identify plagiarism), classify papers based on their content and identify emerging trends and topics, among other goals.
Orvium Market Entry Strategy
Orvium introduces an efficient and simple strategy to overcome market entry barriers. The strategy is based on promoting open and transparent access to scientific knowledge while supporting the required technological evolution. The core of the strategy is described in the following areas of action:
- Break publication cost barriers: The publication process on Orvium allows for a fundamental reduction of publication cost through participation of the community or by defining custom licenses. For instance, helping to improve the quality of the science and/or validating the science through peer review is rewarded in the form of Orvium tokens. Nevertheless, Orvium will support researchers by covering publication associated costs under certain conditions.
- Improve knowledge dissemination: Currently, public research institutions and universities are publicly rewarded based on the number of papers published in high impact journals, which are mostly private. This leads to the triple-pay loop, while also creating a barrier to open access and limiting the dissemination of knowledge. Orvium will allocate part of its budget to create, promote and leverage Orvium’s publication model. This will help to break the loop and eliminate the barriers while maximizing dissemination.
- Support research: Orvium will fund research areas with a clear impact on society. The awarding process will be transparent and open to any member of the Orvium community.
- Enhance R&D collaboration frameworks: Orvium’s core is formed by leadingedge technologies. Big data analytics, blockchain, smart contracts, and machine learning are rapidly and continuously evolving. The Orvium team is committed to fostering public R&D activities. In this sense, Orvium LTD will have a role in establishing collaboration and funding frameworks for R&D with universities and research institutions. Orvium will also ensure that the results are made publicly available and open source.
ORV Token and Paid Licensing Model
If a paid licensing model is chosen by the author, journals and/or readers will have to pay for accessing, downloading, using or reproducing the content. These payments will be done using ORV tokens. The quantity of ORV tokens paid will be directly sent to the author. Orvium will deduct a small percentage as a transaction fee in form of ORV tokens.